To help a person in need of medical attention, start with these steps:
- Check surrounding area for any dangers.
- Call the Department of Public Safety at 911 or activate a blue light phone. Stay on the phone while the dispatchers assist you.
Victim with an Injury
- Do not move the injured person unless there is danger of further harm.
- If the injured person is bleeding, place a dry cloth on wound with gentle pressure.
- Keep the injured person warm.
- Check to see if person is responsive.
- Check to see if person is breathing, including signs of coughing and rising chest.
- Do not exceed your training or knowledge when attempting to render first aid.