The visual arts can pose significant risks to the health and safety of artists. This guide provides an overview of some of the most common risks associated with painting, drawing, photography, ceramics, lithography, and sculpture.
Responsibility for Safety in the Arts
Faculty are responsible for ensuring that students attend training and work safely and
- Ensure artists understand the potential health and physical hazards of the chemicals and equipment used;
- Explain proper and safe procedures for handling, under all circumstances, the hazardous substances used;
- Provide appropriate equipment to allow laboratory workers to work safely
Each student, faculty and staff member is expected to attend training and:
- Follow procedures and practices outlined in this training guide
- Report all accidents, near misses, and potential chemical exposures to the Visual Arts Department Manager or the manager of the art studio.