- Attend laboratory safety training.
- Review the Chemical Hygiene Plan
- Follow procedures and laboratory practices outlined in the Chemical Hygiene Plan and EHS Website and as provided by supervisors and principal investigators.
- Use engineering controls and personal protective equipment, as appropriate.
- Report all incidents, accidents, potential chemical exposures and near miss situations to the principal investigator and the Chemical Hygiene Officer.
- Document specific operating procedures for work with particularly hazardous substances, including carcinogens, reproductive toxins and chemicals with high acute toxicity.
- Ensure laboratory workers attend laboratory safety training given by EHS.
- Ensure laboratory workers understand how to work with chemicals safely. Provide chemical and procedure-specific training, as needed.
- Provide laboratory workers with appropriate engineering controls and personal protective equipment needed to work safely with hazardous materials. Ensure such equipment is used correctly.
- Ensure laboratory workers complete and submit Particularly Hazardous Substance Use Approval forms and submit them for approval before using any particularly hazardous substance.
- Review and approve work with particularly hazardous substances.
Departmental Chemical Hygiene Officer
- Establish and implement a Chemical Hygiene Plan.
- Review and update the Chemical Hygiene Plan at least annually.
- Investigate accidents and chemical exposures within the department.
- Act as a liaison between the department and EHS for laboratory safety issues.
- Maintain records of training, exposure monitoring and medical examinations.
- Ensure laboratory workers receive chemical and procedure-specific training.
- Review and approve use of particularly hazardous substances.
- Approve laboratory worker's return to work following a chemical exposure requiring medical consultation.
Environmental Health and Safety (EHS)
- Conduct exposure monitoring, as needed.
- Provide general training.
- Audit the departmental program periodically.
- Provide safe working guidelines for laboratory workers through the EHS web page.
- Review the model Chemical Hygiene Plan at least annually.
- Inspect fume hoods annually.
- Provide consultation for safe work practices for hazardous chemicals.
- Conduct limited laboratory safety inspections annually.
- Develop and maintain the EHS Website.