Hazardous Materials Shipping

EHS prepares and assists in all shipment or transportation of hazardous materials.  Chemicals, biological materials, and radioactive materials can be regulated.

Defining a sample as a hazardous material is independent of the quantity or amount of chemical; even 1mL quantities of certain solvents are regulated.  Batteries, aerosol cans, and dry-ice (when carried via aircraft) are regulated.

Shipping and transportation of hazardous materials related to Princeton University are regulated by the US Department of Transportation (DOT) or by the International Air Transportation Authority (IATA). 

Hazardous materials are designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103, federal hazardous materials transportation law.  Contact EHS if you are unsure if your material is regulated or need assistance in shipping or transporting samples.

Complete the Hazardous Materials Shipment Request Form found in the following link or 'Resources' section above to begin the process. For domestic shipments, please provide at least 48 hours notice. 


Shipments must also be screened by the Office of Research and Project Administration.  

In addition, US government export control laws apply to the export of certain biological pathogens and chemical compounds.  Prior written authorization for the export of export controlled pathogens and chemicals must first be obtained from the US government.  A list of export controlled pathogens may be found here.  A list of export controlled chemicals may be found here.  

If you intend to export a listed pathogen or chemical, please contact Princeton’s Assistant Director of Export Controls and Compliance at [email protected].  Please note that obtaining an export license can take several months.

Additional information regarding Princeton’s export control program may be found here:  https://www.princeton.edu/orpa/compliance/export-controls/export-control-basics/

Guest Shipping Access - Managing Research Collaborations

Billing and payment for shipments between researchers and collaborators outside of campus and members of the University community is coordinated via the eShipGlobal shipping tool.  To use eShipGlobal, staff members must have a campus NetID and a University credit card. 

eShipGlobal is available through the Prime Marketplace. To access the Prime Marketplace, visit the Prime Portal. Requisition Creators will access eShip using the “Requisition” tile and then click on the Prime Marketplace link (within Prime Financials). Shoppers will access eShip through the “Marketplace Shopper” tile on the Prime Portal. Once in the Marketplace, click the eShipGlobal button to access the module. Upon first accessing eShipGlobal, shippers will complete a one-time update to their shipping profile and input their credit card information.

Follow the link below to learn more about using eShipGlobal to facilitate off-site, inbound to campus.

Research Collaborations - How to arrange and pay for inbound shipments using eShipGlobal »


Stanley Howell
Sr. Program Manager - Chemical Safety

Steve Elwood
Director for Research Safety