Safeguarding University resources from unauthorized access, misuse or removal is a duty of all faculty and staff. In laboratories, this obligation rests primarily with the Principal Investigator; however, all laboratory personnel have a responsibility to take reasonable precautions against theft or misuse of materials, particularly those that could threaten the public. Any extraordinary laboratory security measures should be commensurate with the potential risks and imposed in a manner that does not unreasonably hamper research.
At a minimum, the institution expects all laboratory personnel to comply with the following security procedures:
- Question the presence of unfamiliar individuals in laboratories and report all suspicious activity immediately to Public Safety by calling 609-258-1000
- After normal business hours, all laboratories must be locked when unoccupied and not in use
Laboratory building exterior doors are secured after normal business hours. To minimize the likelihood of unauthorized access, all after-hours building users should:
- Avoid providing building access to unfamiliar individuals - Do Not Hold or Prop Doors
- Secure doors upon entering
- Immediately report any building security problem to Public Safety at 609-258-1000
Research or other activities involving the use of lab space, materials or equipment without the knowledge and approval of the responsible Principal Investigator is strictly prohibited. Violation of this prohibition may result in disciplinary action up to and including termination.