Shipping & Moving Radioactive Materials

Off Campus Shipment

The shipping of radioactive materials is regulated domestically as “hazardous materials” by the U.S. Department of Transportation and internationally as “dangerous goods” by the International Air Transportation Association (IATA).  EHS will work with you to ensure that your shipment complies with national and international regulatory requirements.   

Contact EHS as far ahead of time as possible by filling out the Regulated/Hazardous Materials Shipment Request Form completely.   EHS will contact you to work out the details of the shipment. 

On Campus Transfers of Radioactive Materials

Never transport/move radioactive materials, even to an adjacent building, without first contacting EHS.  You may need specific packaging and labelling and occasionally shipping papers.


For shipping questions, contact the following EHS staff members:


Chris Niles
Sr. Laboratory Safety Specialist

Steve Elwood
Hazmat Shipping Contact

Colt Greer
Radiation Safety Officer