Waste is collected directly from the laboratories
Waste is collected directly from the laboratories or the point of generation on Princeton University's main campus on Thursdays (excluding University holidays and closings).
To request pick-up from your area, please fill out the Waste Removal Request Form. If your request is placed before 5:00pm on Wednesday, the waste will be included in that week's collection. If your request is placed after that time, your waste will be removed the following week on Thursday.
Waste Eligible for Removal
- Non-regulated experimental waste and debris
- Hazardous Waste (see Hazardous Waste Determination)
- Spill debris or grossly contaminated materials
- Used Pump Oil
- Mercury containing articles
- Universal Waste - Batteries (i.e. Rechargeable Batteries)
Waste Restricted from Removal
- Regulated Medical Waste. Continue to manage biohazardous waste via Building Services
- Radioactive Waste
- Universal Waste - Lamps (i.e. lamps generated from building maintenance or preventative maintenance)
- Consumer Electronics. Continue to manage consumer electronics via Surplus.
- Laboratory glassware
- Regular trash
Requirements for Removal
- All waste must be containerized and sealed tightly.
- Containers must be compatible and in good condition (transfer all waste from leaking containers)
- All waste must be labeled appropriately
- Non-regulated waste: Labeled with the words "Non-Regulated" with the contents listed legibly in English.
- Hazardous Waste: Labeled with the words "Hazardous Waste" with the contents listed legibly in English.
- Oil must be labeled "Used Oil" (unless it has been contaminated with hazardous waste)
- Waste must be clearly marked or placed in a way that it is clear that it is for EHS pick-up.
- You must be available at the time of pick-up if needed (upon request) to provide access or to answer questions.
Contact the responsible EHS staff member for questions regarding this service and new process.