Employees Can Request Access to their Records

Dec. 15, 2021

Under a regulation of the federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), employers are required to make available upon request certain medical records and all exposure records of employees who are exposed to toxic substances or hazardous agents. 

In compliance with this regulation, the University will provide the first copy of these records free of charge to the employee or a representative to whom the employee has given specific written authorization. The regulation does not require that access be provided to the records of counseling, drug or alcohol abuse programs.

A written request must be submitted by the employee or authorized representative, along with proof of identity such as a driver's license or University identification card. To ensure that the proper information is made available, the employee must provide his or her social security number.

Medical record request forms may be obtained from Occupational Health Services at the McCosh Health Center (609-258-5035). Exposure record requests can be made by submitting an online request form that will be processed by the Office of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS). Requests from former employees must be submitted to the Office of Human Resources (609-258-3300).

A copy of the regulation is available here. Any questions about this regulation can be directed to EHS (609-258-5294).