What areas are candidates for laser hazard evaluation?
Class 3b and 4 lasers have the potential for presenting a wide range of hazards. EHS visits experimental/optics areas and focuses on the hazards of the particular laser(s) in use within the laboratory.
What is addressed during such an evaluation?
- Brief review of general laser safety principals
- Evaluation of the lasers in use
- Laser laboratory inspection
- Review of personal protective equipment
- Calculation of maximum permissible exposure levels for eye and skin
- Calcualtion of nominal hazard zone distences
In what areas should such an evaluation be conducted?
- Highly recommended for all users of Class 3b and 4 lasers