Stepladders (or A-frame ladders) are designed to be self-supporting. There are several important points when using stepladders:
- The spreaders must be fully extended and locked in place before climbing
- The maximum working height of a stepladder may not be exceeded.
- Paint trays are not steps and should only be used for holding paint cans and trays
- Unless designed for such use, the back of the ladder may not be used for climbing
- Stepladders should never be leaned against a wall for use as a straight ladder.