A local fire code permit, which may be obtained from the local fire official, is required for all cutting and welding operations conducted in the Municipality of Princeton.
While Princeton University does not currently require hot work permits to conduct hot work on campus, the Office of Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) in conjunction with the Office of the Fire Marshal require that the following considerations be given prior to beginning any hot work on campus.
Hot Work Checklist
- Have alarm systems been disabled prior to beginning work by calling Facilities Customer Service at 258-8000?
- Has equipment been inspected and found to be serviceable prior to use?
- Are sprinklers in service, where provided?
- Have flammable liquids been removed from work area?
- Have combustible or hazardous materials been relocated at least 35 feet from the operation? Have combustible materials that cannot be removed been covered with fire-resistive tarpaulins?
- Have floor and wall openings within 35 feet of the operation been tightly covered?
- Have screens or shields been erected to protect pedestrians from the welder’s arc?
- Has the atmosphere been tested for presence of flammable gases or vapors?
- Do all workers have personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriate for their tasks?
- Are ample fire extinguishers available?
- Has a fire watch been provided during work, breaks, and for at least 30 minutes after work is complete?
- Have alarm systems been reactivated after work is complete by calling Facilities Customer Service at 258-8000?
University Fire Marshal
The University Fire Marshal is part of the Department of Public Safety. This position is concerned with issues related to fire and life safety, and acts as liaison with local fire officials. The University has established a Fire Alarm Shutdown Procedure in order to avoid nuisance alarms due to construction activities. Additional steps are required if alarms are to be disabled in occupied buildings. The process and submittal form is found on the Facilities Customer Service Center web site.