Besides machine guarding, there are other safe work practices that can be followed to help prevent injuries associated with moving machinery, i.e. amputation type injuries.
- Avoid loose clothing or jewelry and tie up loose hair to prevent it from becoming entangled in the moving parts
- Use pushsticks and tampers for pushing stock or food into the point of operation. NEVER reach your hand toward the point of operation
- Allow time for machine to stop moving once turned off. Some blades will take up to 15 seconds to spin down when powered down
- Ensure the machine is unplugged or locked and tagged out before removing guards for cleaning or maintenance
- Use the proper blades at the proper operating speeds as specified by the manufacturer of the equipment
- Maintain blades and bits in good condition and replace when damaged